Here’s my showreel if you’d like to see what I can do.
I’m experienced at running entire productions or fitting into existing teams.
- 2D & 3D Motion Design & Animation;
- Visual Effects;
- Creative Direction;
- Illustration – I’ve spent my whole life drawing and have a 1st class degree in Illustration;
- Design – I spent a lot of my career at some of London’s top design studios, like Why Not Associates and Intro.
- Technical Direction
- Animation Consultation
- Project Management – I’ve run many jobs myself, and worked closely with producers to create schedule, and budgets, and how to keep jobs on track.
Ever since I was a little kid, I’ve loved being creative. There’s something transcendent about the process of turning my imagination into real life, and the feeling of “I made that” has never got boring. This passion has fuelled me to learn a lot of different skills over the years, but here’s what I consider to be my strengths:
- Curiosity – I love learning and figuring things out. This means I know a little bit about a lot and helps me approach challenges in unique ways. I’m the person people usually contact when people don’t know how to do something, like figuring out HDR workflows in After Effects, projection mapping onto cathedrals or just “why isn’t this working!”;
- Curiosity – I love figuring things out. Over the years I’ve become the go-to person when people don’t know how to do something, like figuring out HDR workflows in After Effects, projection mapping onto cathedrals or just “why isn’t this working!”;
- Organised, thorough and reliable – to avoid stressful situations and work in the most efficient way;
- Patient and calm – when stressful situations sometimes arise!
- Communication – I’m empathic and good at seeing the bigger picture which helps when I manage teams or need to problem solve.
A few career highlights
- creating animations for the London 2012 Olympic Games Opening and Closing Ceremonies, watched by an estimated global audience of 1 billion;
- creating a 6 part web series ‘Invaders from Space’;
- working with Alain de Botton on a series of animations focusing on helping people, which to date have a combined 10 million views on The School of Life YouTube channel;
What people say about me
“I’ve had the pleasure of working with Martin regularly since 2012. Martin joined our team to work on the digital content for the London 2012 Closing Ceremony, and that was the start of a valued and enjoyable working relationship. Martin is a rare talent with an excellent understanding of motion graphics/animation, both 2D and 3D. But this also comes with vast technical knowledge and an ability to deliver on time and to a very high standard consistently. When Martin is part of a Kate Dawkins Studio project, I know it’s not only in safe hands but that the work will be to the exacting level required.”
– Kate Dawkins, Founder at Kate Dawkins Studio
“I’ve worked with Martin many times and can highly recommend both his reliability and animation skills. He is not only creative but also very technically skilled. It is always a joy to work with him.”
– Jayne Hobart, Senior Producer
“I have worked with Martin on a number of projects with content ranging from poignant stories to mark key historical anniversaries to high level messaging for corporate event environments. Whatever we’re creating his delivery is the same – beautiful, considered, technically brilliant and always on time. His calm supportive nature, ability to turn round high quality work to very tight deadlines if required and extensive knowledge of the motion graphics/animation process make him an invaluable member of the team. I can’t recommend him highly enough – even if that does mean he won’t always be available for us!”
– Diana Henry, Creative/content producer
“Martin created a beautiful animation for us. The team were very happy and couldn’t believe what had been achieved in such a short time. It was a pleasure to work with him and the process went very smoothly and efficiently.”
– Nina Ludgate, Executive Digital Producer at Rapiergroup
If you’ve made it this far and are interested in who I am, here’s some random facts:
I work remotely on an iMac 5k 3.6 Ghz 8-Core i9, with 360 Mbps down, 36 Mbps up fibre broadband. I have experience running entire productions, and leading a team, but I am just as happy to use this experience to fit into your team.